What can you do with a roasted chicken carcass, an onion, and some random veggies you bought last week? Make chicken soup, of course!
Never throw away another roasted chicken carcass. Just put it in a large pot, cover with water, and boil until the water is about 2/3 the amount you started with. Strain into another large pot & voila!. Homemade chicken broth out of table scraps with no added MSG or preservatives, to boot.
When you strained your chicken broth, you had a bunch of meat & skin loosely stuck to bones, right? Spend 5 minutes to pick through for good meat. Throw it into the pot with the chicken broth you just made. Give the skin & scraps (minus the bones) to your dog, if you're so inclined. You may now throw away the bones.
Throw in a chopped onion, maybe some carrots, maybe some celery, chopped cabbage, frozen corn, cauliflower, spinach--you get the idea. This is a great way to use up produce before it spoils.
Add noodles before you cook the soup if you wish. Or you can stir in leftover noodles or rice after the soup is done.
Bring the whole thing to a boil & then put it on low & simmer for about 30 minutes. That's it! Homemade chicken soup.
Be sure to freeze what you won't use within 3 days.
Tightwad Training Camp Archive
Thanks for visiting the Tightwad Training Camp blog. This blog is now in archived-only status with no new posts. I've decided to leave it online & accessible due to a request for the information within the older posts.
If you are interested in both frugality and healthy eating, you might enjoy my other blog, Supper In Seconds, where I present recipes from scratch that take 10 minutes or less hands-on time to prepare.
Thanks for visiting the Tightwad Training Camp blog. This blog is now in archived-only status with no new posts. I've decided to leave it online & accessible due to a request for the information within the older posts.
If you are interested in both frugality and healthy eating, you might enjoy my other blog, Supper In Seconds, where I present recipes from scratch that take 10 minutes or less hands-on time to prepare.
Tuesday, February 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Okay, I'm trying to make chicken soup again from a leftover carcass. I'm going to keep doing this until I get it right! I just can't seem to get a 'rich full-bodied' flavor.
Post a Comment