In this post I gave a basic 3-ingredient laundry detergent recipe. I've used the recipe off and on for a couple years and I have always found it adequate; however, it has its drawbacks.
First, it's not what I would consider "natural." The Fels-Naptha soap burns my hands after 15-20 minutes of exposure during the grating process. In fact, it prominently states on the soap's label to wear gloves when handling. Also, the Borax in the recipe contains boric acid, a known pesticide, used mostly on roaches and other hard to kill nesting bugs.
Second, while its cleaning job is adequate, it is in no way outstanding. I always practice stain prevention because I know that while using that particular laundry recipe, I will have to pre-treat all stains or they will set in during laundering. In other words, you can't just pile 'em in the basket & dump 'em in the machine if they have stains unless you're comfortable with stained clothing.
Unfortunately, I'd never found another homemade laundry detergent recipe at all until now. I can't give personal feedback on the effectiveness of the new one because I actually just ordered a starter bag of Charlie's Soap before I found the recipe so I need to work through that bag first.
But if you have the same lackluster response to the Fels-Naptha recipe that I do, you might want to give this one, found on the Gentle Christian Mothers message board a try!
1 cup of Castile Soap
1 /3 cup of Salt
1 cup of Dissolved Borax or Washing Soda (Optional)
1 cup of Vinegar (Optional)
40 drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract. ( Optional)
1/2 gallon of hot water
In a gallon jug, dissolve the salt & Borax or washing soda. Add the rest of the ingredients & shake well to mix.
From what I've read, this is not just a laundry detergent, but also a great all-purpose cleaner. And if you substitute baking soda for the Borax or washing soda, you can even use it in your automatic dishwasher.
If anyone decides to give it a try, let me know how it works out!
Get Moving: If you haven't discovered the cleaning power of pure castille soap yet, you're missing out! It only takes a little to cut through greasy grime on porcelain sinks, easily mop any kind of floor, or even wash little hands. Next time you're in the store, take time to locate the liquid castille soap (Dr. Bronner's is the well-known name brand) and see if your budget will allow for a bottle. If you have Trader Joe's nearby, you can pick up a large bottle of the TJ's brand peppermint castille for only $4.99.
Annoying but necessary disclaimer: All information contained herein express my opinions only and are based on my health status & location. Each person's situation, health, and local laws & ordinances are different. By all means, use your own common sense & don't do anything you see here if someone more important than me (like your doctor, your local police, your own conscience) would disagree. If you're easily persuaded by everything you read, and you think I might cause you to hurt yourself or break the law, quit reading my site, please.
Tightwad Training Camp Archive
Thanks for visiting the Tightwad Training Camp blog. This blog is now in archived-only status with no new posts. I've decided to leave it online & accessible due to a request for the information within the older posts.
If you are interested in both frugality and healthy eating, you might enjoy my other blog, Supper In Seconds, where I present recipes from scratch that take 10 minutes or less hands-on time to prepare.
Thanks for visiting the Tightwad Training Camp blog. This blog is now in archived-only status with no new posts. I've decided to leave it online & accessible due to a request for the information within the older posts.
If you are interested in both frugality and healthy eating, you might enjoy my other blog, Supper In Seconds, where I present recipes from scratch that take 10 minutes or less hands-on time to prepare.
Tuesday, April 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment