Some years, kids grow up and not so much out. If that's the case with any of yours this year, don't immediately retire their old winter clothing. Girls' pants that are too short can make great capris by taking them up another inch or two. Boys' pants that are too short can often be made into summer shorts.
What about those girls' dresses from last year? Some of them might make a great summer baby-doll style shirt. My 4 year old is still wearing one shirt this summer that is actually a size 18-month dress.
How about clothes that you might have received from others that are actually a bit big for your children this year? Little boys who are still in diapers can fill out the next size up if you quickly hem the bottoms. Girls' sleveless dresses that are a size too big can sometimes be "shortened" by a few quick stitches across each strap. In a pinch, I have even tied a small knot in small dress straps & no one has noticed.
And how about for the adults? My husband has been making his own long summer shorts out of cut-off pants for a long time, as have I. But, last year, I added no-sew capris to my Spring wardrobe by using large folds to fold up the bottoms 2-3 times until they were the desired height for my 5'8" frame. Then, I ironed them down & put a safety pin on each side. This way, I can take them down in the winter & put them up in the summer. Of course, if you don't care for the pants as pants anymore, hemmed shorts or capris would give a cleaner look.
If you don't plan to have a large family and continually pass down clothing, this is an easy way to stretch your clothing budget, allowing you to "shop at home" for free.
Get Moving: When you switch out your Winter & Spring wardrobes this year, try to identify clothes that can be used again this year in a different way. Pay special attention to girls' dresses that can become no-sew shirts & your own pants that could become no-sew capris.
Annoying but necessary disclaimer: All information contained herein express my opinions only and are based on my health status & location. Each person's situation, health, and local laws & ordinances are different. By all means, use your own common sense & don't do anything you see here if someone more important than me (like your doctor, your local police, your own conscience) would disagree. If you're easily persuaded by everything you read, and you think I might cause you to hurt yourself or break the law, quit reading my site, please.
Tightwad Training Camp Archive
Thanks for visiting the Tightwad Training Camp blog. This blog is now in archived-only status with no new posts. I've decided to leave it online & accessible due to a request for the information within the older posts.
If you are interested in both frugality and healthy eating, you might enjoy my other blog, Supper In Seconds, where I present recipes from scratch that take 10 minutes or less hands-on time to prepare.
Thanks for visiting the Tightwad Training Camp blog. This blog is now in archived-only status with no new posts. I've decided to leave it online & accessible due to a request for the information within the older posts.
If you are interested in both frugality and healthy eating, you might enjoy my other blog, Supper In Seconds, where I present recipes from scratch that take 10 minutes or less hands-on time to prepare.
Tuesday, March 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment