Tightwad Training Camp Archive

Thanks for visiting the Tightwad Training Camp blog. This blog is now in archived-only status with no new posts. I've decided to leave it online & accessible due to a request for the information within the older posts.

If you are interested in both frugality and healthy eating, you might enjoy my other blog, Supper In Seconds, where I present recipes from scratch that take 10 minutes or less hands-on time to prepare.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

onion bag kitchen sponges

One of the disposable items that has been hard for me to replace are kitchen sponges. Even though I find their cleanliness questionable after about a week, I continued for a long time to purchase & use these sponges. One of my favorites was the "Dobie" sponge.

Finally, as I was about to throw away another mesh onion bag, it stuck me that it was a very similar material to the outside of the Dobie sponge. I inserted one of my kitchen rags and I am thrilled with the final product.



Not only was it free to make, and thus eliminating another item from my grocery list, but I can replace the rag inside every couple days so that it is always clean.

Another use for a mesh onion bag is to hold things that repeatedly get wet. They make great bath toy bags when hung up to let the toys drip dry. Swim toys are easily toted to the pool & back in one of these bags. We have been using one for quite some time to hold our cookie cutters. After we use our cookie cutters, I throw them into the bag & close with a bread tab. They then go through the dishwasher cycles enclosed in the bag & are put back into the drawer still in the bag. We have not yet lost a cookie cutter. You could use the same process for any other small items you regularly wash.

Get Moving: Next time you buy onions, save the bag & put it with your stash of consumer packaging that could be useful. Don't have a stash yet? Clean out one drawer, cabinet or shelf so you can start one!

Annoying but necessary disclaimer: All information contained herein express my opinions only and are based on my health status & location. Each person's situation, health, and local laws & ordinances are different. By all means, use your own common sense & don't do anything you see here if someone more important than me (like your doctor, your local police, your own conscience) would disagree. If you're easily persuaded by everything you read, and you think I might cause you to hurt yourself or break the law, quit reading my site, please.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. I was beginning to save my mesh bags from fruits/veges and putting them in the craft box (you never know when you need to construct a miniture version of a farm, complete with mesh fences!) because I just couldn't throw them away. Now I have another use for them, thanks.