Tightwad Training Camp Archive

Thanks for visiting the Tightwad Training Camp blog. This blog is now in archived-only status with no new posts. I've decided to leave it online & accessible due to a request for the information within the older posts.

If you are interested in both frugality and healthy eating, you might enjoy my other blog, Supper In Seconds, where I present recipes from scratch that take 10 minutes or less hands-on time to prepare.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

30 Days of Tips - Cheap Lodging

Tip # 17: We are planning a trip in two short weeks that will require us to find one night's lodging. After an hour or so of research, I came up with some alternative ideas to a standard motel.

Since our destination is in the south, a camping cabin appears to be our cheapest option for a family. Camping cabins range in price from $35 per night to $150 or above, depending on size & amenities, such as bathrooms, kitchen areas, & linen service. If you are willing to walk to the group bathroom & bring your own towels & bed linens, a basic 10' x 13' sleeping cabin should be found for under $40. These almost always include beds or cots. Note that a camping cabin is very different from a "chalet." Chalets are upscale cabins popular in mountainous tourist regions. They are usually far more expensive than a motel.

Another great option for a single traveller or a couple is a hostel, which I was surprised to find in both US cities that I searched. I had always assumed hostels were only available abroad, but there are in fact many operating here, particularly in more "liberal" or college-oriented towns. Hostels can have dorm-style sleeping only, or some have private rooms available. Most hostels charge by the person, and the average price in the two towns I searched was $22/person making it quite expensive for a family. Private rooms were advertised between $50 and $75. The draw to a hostel was the community atmosphere, the full use of indoor bathrooms & kitchens, & the proximity to the college area. If my husband & I were travelling alone, this would have been my first choice. Things to notice when you search for a hostel: Is there a curfew? How is the security within the hostel (lockers, etc.)? Is there a minimum or maximum stay allowed?

Many homeowners are renting out all or part of their homes on a nightly basis. You can check the classified section of the local independent paper to find these listings. Prices can range from $50 to $200, depending on the size & location of the home. The benefit to renting this way is that you usually aren't charged extra per person, so large families could be quite comfortable for the same price as a motel.

Of course, camping in a tent remains the cheapest overnight option short of sleeping in your own car. Tenting tips deserve an entry of their own; however, you could expect to pay anywhere from free (in state or national parks) to $22 for a campsite with electric & water available.

No comments: