Tightwad Training Camp Archive

Thanks for visiting the Tightwad Training Camp blog. This blog is now in archived-only status with no new posts. I've decided to leave it online & accessible due to a request for the information within the older posts.

If you are interested in both frugality and healthy eating, you might enjoy my other blog, Supper In Seconds, where I present recipes from scratch that take 10 minutes or less hands-on time to prepare.

Thursday, October 11, 2007

30 Days of Tips - Freezing Meat

Tip #11: Here's a tip for freezing meat & other items in perfect serving sizes that comes straight from Amy Dacyczyn in her Tightwad Gazette. I'm allowing myself to reproduce it here because I used it just today and love its simplicity as the perfect solution to my problem.

When we purchase ground turkey, I like to separate it as soon as I bring it home into dinner portions for our family of three. A bread bag is perfect for this job, as you can put in your portion, twist & tie, put your next portion, twist & tie, and so on. When it comes time to use the turkey, simply cut off each section as you need it. (You can't wash & reuse bags that have held meat, anyway.)

This tip also works for rice (we always cook rice in double or triple quantities), turkey burger patties, and summer watermelon.

If you're interested in reading the original idea in Amy's book, pull the first Tightwad Gazette off your bookshelf. If you have no Tightwad Gazettes on your shelf, then that's your far more valuable tip for today: purchase (not borrow) your own copy of the Tightwad Gazettes. Then read them cover to cover, several times a year.

No comments: