Tightwad Training Camp Archive

Thanks for visiting the Tightwad Training Camp blog. This blog is now in archived-only status with no new posts. I've decided to leave it online & accessible due to a request for the information within the older posts.

If you are interested in both frugality and healthy eating, you might enjoy my other blog, Supper In Seconds, where I present recipes from scratch that take 10 minutes or less hands-on time to prepare.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

30 Days of Tips - Halloween Candy

Tip #24: Don't groan until I finish this tip for all the parents of trick-or-treaters out there. When you purchase Halloween candy, purchase candy you like because if there is any left over, you'll be able to enjoy it. If you run out of candy, hand out the candy that your child has already received that your family doesn't care for.

I know it's tempting to think it's "too tacky," but let me ask you: is it better to buy more candy than you actually need, thereby stressing your wallet and increasing the demand for unhealthy foods, and then ending up with a bunch of candy you'll never eat that you have to either throw away or constantly fight over with your children? I would prefer to redistribute the candy we'll never consume.

When you dump the contents of the little plastic pumpkin into your hand-out bowl, just do it inside, not on the front porch, OK?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the past we have given out small trinkets instead of candy like themed pencils, tiny games, stuff like that. Look at places like Big Lots or Hobby Lobby for bulk packages of stuff like that.
Also on Halloween after T or T the kids pick out what candy they REALLY want to keep and the rest we leave out for the Great Pumpkin to come and get and leave a small gift in return..the more candy you leave the better the surprise might be! Then of course Mom and Dad pass that candy onto somewhere else...I keep my own hidden stash of my favs for my occasional fix and send the rest to work!

Z

julie said...

I love the Great Pumpkin idea. I might try that next year.